Construction stuff

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Construction stuff
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 22:35:44 EDT
Hello everyone,

I trust that everyone is doing well?  Welcome to all of our newcomers.

Just a note to make sure that you feel free to ask questions.  It is most
important that we help you make the construction of your Swift a truly great
experience.  We want you to tell your friends so that we can make the class
grow
as quickly as possible.  If you are the least bit intimidated by this project,
call me and I'll help you get through it.

A couple of things that have been brought to my attention.

First, when you see the term "straight epoxy" it always means epoxy with
hardener but without any other fillers of additives.  You will never apply
epoxy
without hardener.

Second, I forgot to mention that your plans will not include a transom bar
pattern as indicated in the manual.  The transom bar is a simple 72" radius.
decided some time ago not include a pattern for it as it is an additional
sheet that is simple to cut.   The jig ends up being a piece of 2x6  48" inches
long.   If you drive a nail in the center of one of your sheets of particle
board two feet from one end, you can tack the 48" 2x6 parallel and flush with
the
other end and use a string to strike the radius.   The entire process takes
less than 5 minutes.

The actual transom bar that you make on the jig will be several inches too
long and you should leave it that way until you are ready to fit it to the
deck.
 If this is still confusing, please let me know since I could mail you a
pattern if nothing else.

I would ask everyone to build the new centerboard trunk as it is easier and
better.  You do not need to buy (or build) your centerboard until later if you
use this detail, plus, you have the option of changing boards easily if you
want to.

Look on the "links" page of the website often as we'll be adding new
suppliers frequently in the future.

We are dividing the USA into four quarters geographically.  I'll post a list
of states in each quarter some time in the near future.  If things continue
the way they are going, the NE with be the site of the first major Swift Solo
regatta.

I've decided to issue sail numbers to plan holders at this time (registration
numbers will come at measurement).  This will allow you guys to vote by
posting your sail numbers prior to completion of your boat.

That's all for now.

Remember to wear your dust masks.