Re: Milling Strips.

To: christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Milling Strips.
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:08:46 EDT
Cc: gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Christian,

I'll add Raven to the "links" list.

I appreciate all of the help in finding these contacts.  If everyone will
continue to share information as you guys have the process of rounding up
materials will become easy.

We'll post the package from Sweet as soon as they get it to me (should be a
couple of days).

With regard to the cedar, both 001 and 002 were built with common house
building cedar stock.  The material was semi-clear and I simply broke the
strips
that had knots at the knots.  I've used both 5/4 x 8 S1S2E (Smooth 1 side 2
edges) and 1x4 S1S2E.  [A note for those outside of the USA: You would think
that
our 5/4 x 8 would be 1 1/4" x 8" or 32mm x 20.2cm but it is not.  It is
actually 1" x 7 1/4" or 25mm x 18.2cm--don't ask why]

The thing that I've noticed is that the typical marine materials suppliers
want about 4 times as much for raw material that is just a bit better.  The
finished price from Raven looks reasonable when you consider the time required
cut the strips and mill the bead and cove.  The white cedar accent material is
usually very expensive.

Generally, once you're set up, one person can cut and mill all of the strips
for a Swift in about 10 hours if you choose to buy the raw material and mill
you own.  Greg's new super milling machine may shave a couple of hours off of
that time.