peel ply

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: peel ply
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:16:39 EDT
Just a note to add to one of Greg's posts.

As I get more experience using epoxy and carbon or s-glass I've come to
appreciate the use of peel ply in many applications.  Wrapping it around a part
or
draping it over parts and hanging weights on it (like clamps) is a great way
to squeeze extra resin out of the lay-up and to get a very nice surface to work
with.  I'll post a couple of pictures on the website construction page to
have a look at if you've not used it before.
I would recommend that everyone buy about 5 yards of the stuff (get coarse
mesh) as it will make everything easier.  It's fairly cheap.

One thing that I would like to make clear for those new to handling glass.
Avoid handling pre wet glass whenever possible.  Instead always lay the dry
cloth on the part and wet it out (you may want to wet the part first in some
rare
applications like in multiple layer applications ).  Pre-wet cloth that is
moved in place is hard to handle, traps a lot of air under it that is hard to
remove, and makes a hell of a mess.  Avoid it whenever possible.  Even short
pieces of glass tape are best applied by wetting the part and applying the dry
tape when possible.  By using a squeegee you can bring the resin up through the
cloth and avoid air bubbles.  You will need to wet out from the top once
you've squeeged it in place.

Bram
PS  I've attached one picture of peel ply

JPEG image