potential rules changes and sail testing

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: potential rules changes and sail testing
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:55:07 EST
Fellow SSS members (that's "Swift Solo Skiff members" in case the CIA and FBI
guys are monitoring this site)

The sailing and sail testing has been great the last couple of days.  I hope
to finally get some light air today to test the lower end (I must admit that
the last two days of sailing in steady 10 to 14 knot winds hasn't been too
painful).  I can't tell you how good it feels to be getting back at it.  My
muscles are complaining a lot but a few more times out and that will go away.

As promised earlier, I will be coming to the class with some proposed rules
changes.  Below are some things for consideration.
1.  The current rules allow a large latitude for the location of the launcher
throat.  After working with VMG we have indeed found that moving the throat
back 3 inches is better and having Greg's launcher throat with a tighter radius
is also better.  The end result is a bigger opening that will cause less
friction.  Both of these changes fit within the current rules.  The problem is
that unless we tie a location down, every spinnaker sock will have to be custom
made.  I expect our socks to be a bit more expensive than the 49er sock anyway
because they are more complex, however, custom making them will likely run the
cost up to around $300 whereas if we standardize the location we will likely
get them down to half that amount.  I encourage everyone to move your launcher
throat back three inches (to 27 inches as opposed to the 24" show on the
plans) and to make your own as it will be cheaper, stronger, and lighter than
the
49er unit.  Pat, would you verify that this is indeed the correct location
based on your boat.  In short, this is a place where changing the rule will
bring
down the cost without any consequences.

2.  I've been encouraging everyone to cut 1/4" to 3/8' off the top of their
bulkheads while fitting the deck (to lower the deck to get proper overhang on
the gunwale (very important when the boat is capsized as it gives you something
to hang on to and to hook your toes on).  The deck height measurement in the
rules at the CB trunk was based on and centered on how I had built my boat.
The tolerances should be centered on how it is when it's done correctly
(lowered 1/4 to 3/8").  We can either broaden the tolerances or keep them with
the
same variance and grandfather anyone who completed a boat the other way (at
least two boats).

3.  I believe I have found a problem with the measurement on our spinnakers.
As soon as I'm sure we may ask the class for a change of the luff and leech
measurements.  We may want to shorten the luff by 3" and lengthen the leech by
the same amount.  These kites are complicated to get right and hard to fly and
slow when they're wrong.  Just a note: We hope that everyone has read the
changes PDF and is planning on moving the spinnaker sheet block aft 8 inches
from
the original location.  The Banks kites will be made to fit that location.

We will be making a formal request and writing a ballot for the class within
a month.  Now would be a good time to discuss any issues you may have with
what I'm proposing.