Re: UV protection for Swift-Solo

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: UV protection for Swift-Solo
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 22:12:57 -0400
Warren I noticed all our email addresses are in your message. Will this
method of email get us more spam?
I searched every post in the server for UV and didn't get the post Dave
mentioned. Its not clear from Dave's post what aspect of UV protection Dave
is looking for.   If you leave epoxy exposed to sun by the end of the season
it will turn dark and the surface will craze or crack and begin to
disintegrate. Use the special purpose epoxy for surfaces that will be
exposed to sun like the deck. I also used this on my topsides. In case you
really want to protect the boat from UV, paint the part(s) that will be
exposed  with a UV stabilized "Varnish" like Epifanes one pot poly. When I
get to that stage in a few weeks, I hope,  I am thinking to use a 2 part
clear linear poly called Interlux Perfection Polyurethane. Its more
expensive, but its dries to a very hard scratch resistant surface which is
superior to Epifanes. Also, rather than graphite I will use an opaque
variety of the same on the bottom (pick your color(s)). Any imperfections
can be wet sanded out and the surface is so hard that it can be polished
with a buffer and paste to a high speckless gloss. I think id rather have a
lot of this on the boat than epoxy, although epoxy is cheaper.
If Dave is thinking about UV resistant cover for the boat, Sunbrella is a
good material that will resist 3-4 or more seasons in direct sun. Bram has
made a nice set of templates for Swift solo covers that are better than any
other cover out there, and if we ask, maybe Banks could make them. I have a
buddy in Charleston who's mum makes great covers also. You could always get
the boring standard 420 design cover and collect duck and seagull guano in
the green pools of water.
For sails there really is no substitute for keeping them out of the sun. I
keep my 49er sails under the boat a lot :-) Ok, just think about it!
If you have exotic fibres, Kevlar or PBO  stripped halyards for that extra
ounce out of the mast then tie the jacketed end onto the head shackle and
pull the unjacketed part up inside the mast, same for Kevlar main and jib
halyards. My sail stays in the bag when not hoisted. The Kevlar in a 49er
sail is shot in less than 1 season if the sail is left on the deck exposed.
Even the Mylar becomes very brittle and you finish up with expensive
cornflakes in the sailbag if left in the sun for a long time. Once you tear
the sail you will find out why, you could break the Kevlar strands easily.
Normally trying to do that would cut your fingers off.
For your own UV protection there is nothing better than Nosecoat by Zinka.
On your lips!  Its a bugger when it gets on ya sunnies though. You can also
get good mileage from polarized sunnies, Bram swears he can drive for more
than 24 hours straight with his Oakies. I think they makes it too dark at
night though. Whatever.
Greg
Swift Solo --Rose (Guess my choice of bottom color).