Some valuable tips for Swift Solo sailing

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Some valuable tips for Swift Solo sailing
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:39:30 EDT

September 20,  2004
What a great week (actually 4 days) in  Vancouver BC  sailing with Roger
Wright and Mike Jocelyn (and Jeremy with Ronstan  Canada).  Thursday was
dumping
buckets of rain  with light but gusty winds so we opted to have Mike show us
what heâd  learned.  It was impressive to see  how far heâs come.  Without
single  working telltale (the rain had stuck them like glue to the sails) Mike
was able  to deal with the blustery and shifty conditions really well.  After
he left we found out from some  locals that heâs become a Swift Solo junkyâ
sailing four or five days a  week.  No wonder heâs improved so  quickly
without
any instruction.  Mike hopes to bring 001 to  Florida in March (we may have to
do an intervention)
On Friday and Saturday we had nice weather with 4 to 12  knots of wind.  Mike
had to leave  for his daughterâs wedding in London  and it was Rogers turn to
take his  second sail ever in his Swift.  Roger has little small boat
experience but a lot of wind surfing under  his belt. We were joined by Jeremy
who
represents Ronstan in  Canada and we  all took turns in Rogers new  boat.
With
each of  Rogers four sessions on Friday and  Saturday his confidence and
skill improved and on the final two sessions he was  becoming comfortable on
the
wire.   Jeremy, who is also a 49er sailor,  took a couple of turns and, as you
might expect, looked like heâd been sailing  the boat for years.   It was fun
to take the helm of someone  elseâs Swift for a change.  The boat  felt just
like mine.  I was very  impressed with Rogerâs boat. Other than a few
adjustments to trapeze handle  heights, the boat is right on.
On Sunday it was sunny but high pressure was moving in and the wind  quickly
built to around 20 knots.  We were joined by a local 29er sailor with some
49er experience.  Roger went first in a building 12 knots  of wind and did
well.
His wind  surfing experience gives Roger a hankering to two sail reach and heâ
s become  quite good at it.  As you might  expect, with the wind increasing,
this was no place to be on your third day of  sailing and he eventually
capsized.  Our local 29er guy took over and sailed around for a while in just
under
20 knots of breeze.  Even after  several capsizes, he remained enthused and
went off on a very fast two sail  reach.  After a few more capsizes,  it was
time to head for the showers as there was no let up in sight and this was  no
place for newcomers.
The week was a great success and brought a couple of  things to my attention
that need to be covered for those about to launch.
First, the top of your trapeze handles need to be even  with the top of the
boom when you swing them against the boom.  This is very important.
Second, be sure that the sail track feeder is properly  aligned and has no
sharp edges or corners. Otherwise, it will cut your bolt rope  on your new
sails.
Third, take a minute and make the mainsail hoisting loop that I recently
posted.
Fourth, get the âHigher and Fasterâ video and study the 49er  sailing.
Particularly notice how  they stay on their feet during tacking and jibing.
This
is a must since crawling through  leaves you in the center of the boat when
the sails fill on the new tack and you  get dumped out like bad coffee (we do
drop to one knee after we cross the boat  and hook up to the trap in heavier
air).
Fifth, the vang lever design and lay-up schedule needs  beefing up.  Iâll
post a new one  soon.
Sixth, be patient and work your way up the wind range starting in under 8
knots of breeze.  The Swift is a  very high performance boat with lots of
horsepower and it takes some time to get  accustomed to it.  It will take
those of
you without skiff experience at least 20 days of sailing to work up to  the 15
knot range and double that number to get above the 20 knot range.  Using the
graduated process will bring a  lot of satisfaction with each new level.
Moving up too quickly will bring a lot of bruises, broken tiller  extensions,
and
swimming practice.   In the end, I can think on few  things that have brought
me more satisfaction than the adventure of learning to  sail this boat.
Itâs really exciting to have Roger on board and learning  to sail the boat so
quickly.  His  on-the-water experience with translate to the highest quality
parts for Aquilo  Boats because of personal field testing.
Roger hated to leave  Vancouver because it was snowing  back in Calgary and
the sailing  season is over while Vancouver has  another 6 weeks for the
average sailor and year around sailing for those with  numb nads.  I hated to
leave
as well  because the rest of the week promised sunshine and lighter windsâ
perfect for  teaching Swift Solo Sailing.
Jane and I will be flying to  Florida to scout some regatta  sites in early
December and weâll need to make that decision before Christmas so  we can
make
arrangements. Meanwhile, Iâll be heading for  Annapolis for the âBoat Of
The
Yearâ  competition in two weeks.
Sails will be going out this week.
Keep the sawdust out of your eyes,