Re: sliders

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: sliders
From: sobering@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:20:46 GMT
Cc: sobering@xxxxxxxxx
> problem
> Laminating pieces found to slide [...]
>
> solution
>  I am using clamps or screws to hold pieces

Note that if you have a curved lamination you need to be careful how many,
where,  and what order you drive the screws.  It's possible to prevent the
layers from sliding so much that they buckle between screws and don't bond
together properly (you can also do this with improperly tightening a series of
clamps, too).

Whenever possible, I try and use one fixed screw to keep the stack of parts in
X-Y linear registration, and then some other method to keep them in angular
registration as I clamp.  Sometimes this isn't possible (ex. a plywood deck
being screwed down in a compound curve over a set of bulkheads).  In that case,
you need to carefully choose the sequence of screws that you drive so that the
plywood has adequate freedom to conform.  Usually it works best to start at the
"center" of the curve and work outward to the edges.

Cheers,

Geoff Sobering
DN US-5156/Laser 145234/Renegade 510/Swift-Solo someday...