RE: Core Material

To: "Doug" <d.kirchmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Core Material
From: "Andy Howlett" <Andy.Howlett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:22:06 +0100
Doug,

>From the class rules pdf on the website - Quote:"
5.12 Measurement of the Hull

5.12.1 Construction

a. Boats may be either amateur or professionally built.

b. The hull shell (not including stringers frames or similar stiffening)
may be substantially

built only of Western Red Cedar core, S-glass exterior, Kevlar/carbon
hybrid interior,

and WEST System epoxy. Accent strips of other woods shall be allowed but
shall not

constitute more than 5% of the surface area.

"Unquote

So therefore you can use teak for up to 5% of the surface area but no
more I'm afraid. However, even if it was allowed, surely teak is much
denser than cedar? (640kg/m3 vs 370kg/m3 in fact - isn't the internet
great!) You may well want to avoid corrector weights but you do want it
to float!!

Cheers,
Andy.