More Centreboard trunk building for Dumbies

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: More Centreboard trunk building for Dumbies
From: Dave Lindsey <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:32:51 -0800
Dear Swift Builders

    Please go easy on me. I'm still having some difficulties working out the
CB trunk details. Well, not just details. I must include fundamental issues
as well. In an effort to prevent confusion. I will list my questions in
point form. By the way, I'm using Bram's updated sheet plan as a reference.
Too my knowledge this is the latest update. I received this update during
the summer.

    1. I assume piece A and the bulk of the parts are made using 1/4 inch
bead & cove cedar strips? Or can the Piece A (X2) be made with marine grade
plywood?

    2. Piece C is temporary. As this piece would be redundant when installed
against bulkhead 8. BUT the other 1/2" piece between the CB and the mast
step is permanent. Is this correct?

    3. Are all the pieces laminated with hybrid cloth/epoxy prior to
assembly? I'm excluding the insert blocks.

    4. When completed. How are the insert blocks finished and held in place?

    5. Does anyone else have any concern regarding point loading on the hull
where the CB trunk joins or becomes the mast step. I visualize a significant
moment created by the water against the centreboard along with a massive
compressive load from the mast. Is this nonsense?

    David Lindsey
    New Westminster, B.C.