Re: Centerboard trunk building primer--please every builder read this

To: drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Centerboard trunk building primer--please every builder read this
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:31:16 EST
In a message dated 11/17/2004 11:40:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Could one just use a Flush Trim  Router Bit and change the roller bearing a
1/16â or an 1/8â to accomplish  this?  Are their sections of the bulkhead
that
shouldnât be  reduced?  Or are you just talking about the tops of the
bulkheads?   If the bottom is cut down to compensate for the hybrid/epoxy build
up
wouldnât  this accomplish part of the Ââ?
Rob

Ken and  all,

It's  good you brought this up as it'll refresh some  memories.

A note  of reminder from previous posts regarding the centerboard trunk.

As you  will all recall, I sent out some posts that suggested that the tops
of the  bulkheads be cut down 1/4" to lower the deck and to make the gunwale
flange  protrude below the hull a little further.  This also reduces buoyancy
when it's on its' side a bit as well (a good thing).  This issue is  caused in
part by the thickness added by the glass on the deck and hull and in  part by
the propensity that all of us have to cut bulkheads just outside of  the
lines.

The  centerboard trunk pattern was made with this in mind because it's not
just a  matter of whacking off the top of the trunk (the insert block would get
too  thin).  It is designed to accommodate the cut down bulkheads.

In  conclusion, the mast step area does get the horizontal piece shown to
double the thickness in that area but will still be 1/4" too low until  you
cut/sand the tops of the bulkheads down to match.  Please  avoid installing
your
deck until you've cut these bulkheads down.   You boat will measure but you
won't have a good gunwale flange to use when  righting the boat after a capsize.

Best  regards,

Bram

Rob,

Good question.

The portion of the problem that we're solving is only minimally  caused by
the glass build-up (I've oversimplified my answer in the past).   What actually
happened on my first two boats is that when I started fitting the  hull and
deck and realized that the lip was only going to be about 1/4" it  was just too
tempting to simply cut the gunwale flush--a stupid thing  to do in retrospect
because it makes righting the boat harder.

In short, we've found that trimming the top is the correct way to go.   The
tops of all the bulkheads should be trimmed (leave the transom till when
you're fitting the deck and cut it down a little at a time during the fitting
process.