RE: ordering spinnaker socks and boat covers

To: <BDally6107@xxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ordering spinnaker socks and boat covers
From: "Robert Harper" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:43:33 -0700
One man's opinion on bottom covers:

It has been my experience that bottom covers for hauling your boat are only as
good as they are clean. When they get dirty, the only accelerate the abrasion of
the finish. I have heard of people using shrink wrap, some concoction of soap
and oatmeal ( bizarre ), and bottom covers. My personal favorite was a trailer I
had for my 505 that used full-size truck tires on a wide wheel base and had a
deck that was wider and longer than the boat. What little oil I got on the hull
could be easily removed with a strong detergent at the end of the trip. Car
topping the  boat will also be good. Because of the flapping and abuse from the
wind, I used to remove the deck cover for transit and only use it for storage.
This prolongs the life of the cover and keeps the cover from getting dirty and
sanding the deck as it flogs in the wind.

Top and bottom covers are very good for storage but you must check the boat
frequently to ensure that it is staying dry and free from mold and mildew.

Robert S. Harper

USA 050 "Fugu"