Update on Florida midwinters and other stuff

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Update on Florida midwinters and other stuff
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:42:57 EST
Just a note to bring you up to date.

We have received our "Special Event Permit" from Pinellas County.  All  of
the people associated with this Park have been really helpful and interested
in
our class.  We'll want to be low impact and not cause any  problems.  I'm
very sure that everyone will want to come back next winter  for another go.

Incidentally, we've done some wind study for St. Pete for this period of
time in the past and found that generally the winds are under 10 knots but more

than 5 knots.  It appears that when they do get heavier wind it only lasts
for a couple of days (in mid March).

We're working on getting insurance for the event and on forming a nonprofit
organization (do we have any lawyers in our group?).  We've officially  joined
US Sailing as a class and will be working toward International status  with
the ISAF over the next year or two.

We're also working on getting our suppliers to host (another term that  means
"pay for") barbecues for several of the evenings and to supply sailing
apparel and stuff as prizes--we will be successful.

We'll have an agenda of times and events posted soon.  Special  events will
be held after the clinics and barbecues and will include  discussions on
rigging and understanding your rig, new construction techniques  for both hulls
and
parts, fleet building and our future, and a national meeting  to nominate
officers and discuss some proposed changes to the rules.

We'll finalize the budget and post the entry fees very soon as well (as
promised, it'll be under $100 for both events).

It's extremely exciting to see the kind of turnout we're  getting (judging
from the reservations).  We've clearly formed a great  foundation for the
class.
 It took courage and determination on  your part to be among the early
builders and members and what better  characteristics on which to build a
class?
The number of  people getting a chance to sail a Swift Solo will increase
exponentially  this summer and with your continued help and support the class
will
grow  similarly.

This year I'll get an opportunity to teach you guys how to sail a  Swift.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that you'll be teaching me next  year.

Thanks again to all of you and I'm really looking forward to sailing  with
you.