Re: another good tip about fitting centerboards and rudders

To: gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: another good tip about fitting centerboards and rudders
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:05:20 EST
Yes, you should do the lower block and then after it has set and the seal
has been broken, do the upper.  Some guys only do the lower and use a
tradition
carpet / felt / Velcro seal on the top block.  That may be better  if your
board is really light.

I launched 013 today in no wind.  While paddling to the dock I was  surpassed
to find that my new Greg Ryan rudder would not stay down even with  what
seemed to be a really tight Spartite fit.  I believe that the problem  is
caused
by the fact that this rudder weighs half of what the 49er blade weighs  but
displaces a bit more water.  The amount of uplift is significant and  I'll have
to come up with a quick release to deal with it.

For those about to launch, a word of warning.  If you really want to  go
sailing on the day of the launch, find a place where there are no  passersby.

Greg, it was 63 in Seattle today.  What was the weather like in your  part of
the country where the "weather's always good"?  Be sure to  slather some
sunscreen on those bare arms and legs.