Mast track issues and history

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Mast track issues and history
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:28:16 EST
A while back Christian reported that he'd had trouble with his mast track
coming loose at the top and bottom.  Having a couple of seasons on my  current
mast without problems, I thought that perhaps this was an anomaly.   During the
recent boat show in Vancouver BC, I witnessed the mast track come  loose on a
boat that wasn't even sailing.  The sail was raised and just the  tension
over a couple of days made the track come loose.

After returning home, I took one of the early Forte experimental masts,
slipped a screwdriver under the end of the track and began to pry.  To my
surprise I was able to peel the track off with my hands.  The adhesive was
tightly
bonded to the mast but left the sail track clean as a whistle.

This is interesting because I've got a couple of hard seasons on the  mast in
USA 002 and this same adhesive and mast track is commonly used on
International Canoes.  I've had no problems whatsoever.

Here is what I've concluded.
1.  I have always hoisted my main as high as possible on the  mast in order
to make the halyard pull on an angle because I was  afraid that I'd pull the
slug in the headboard right out of the  track.  There is a high load due to the
severe mast bend.

2.  Even so, this is simply a bad situation and all future mast tracks  must
be bonded using Plexus (mecathilate--don't have a clue how to spell  it).  I
know this will bond and hold the track indefinitely.

3.  A solution for existing masts is being worked out with  Forte.  In the
interim, they are providing a plexus kit for us to take  to Florida and will
provide it to anyone with a problem.  They  will also relace the track if you
send the mast back--free of  charge.  This stuff cures in a couple of hours to
about 90% if my memory  serves me.  80% on plexus would be stronger than the
current adhesive  by a significant amount.

4.  What I suggest is the following.  A.  always  hoist your main all the way
up the mast.  B.  If your mast track  starts to come loose, use the plexus
kit that will be provided by Forte and  clean and rebond the top and bottom
couple of feet after cleaning off all of the  old adhesive.  Forte wants our
business and will do what is necessary and  fair to help us solve this problem.