Re: Tracks coming off

To: <BDally6107@xxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tracks coming off
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:09:42 -0500
Bram I have tried the epoxy to mast track bond and it doesnt work for our
application. I would not waste my time using this method again. These
polypropylene tracks are maybe the most inert and most difficult to bond
material ever made.
I smashed the track on my 49er when a spreader came loose. I removed the old
track and bought a new one. Since I could not get Plexus (Thankyou Vanguard) I
tried roughing the track with sand paper before using thickened epoxy with
410. Of course it stuck but differential expansion and torsions tore it off
again in short order.  The ONLY sucessful way to bond polypropylene in high
load situations is with methacrylate glues, of which Plexus is the best choice,
but there are many other brands. Getting the old 49er mast track off the mast
was a chore because the plexus bond was so good. I eventually had to sand it
off. Methacrylate glues are two part and can be obtained in a continuum of
final flexibilities which varies inversly with overall tenacity. For small or
touch up jobs McMaster-Carr supply company has small 50ml  ml twin tubes of
methacrylate glue from DEVCON if you dont want to buy a huge tube of this
stuff. It has a 10-20 min setup time. Nobody will regret having some of this
stuff in their shop.

--Work fairly fast with everything setup and aligned (holding tape pieces
already precut and distributed) before you start. Mark the mast with long
strips of masking tape just either side of where the track will go to indicate
alignment. Check straightness.  It is possible to use a sharp blade to remove
the excess methacrylate glue with the masking tape just before it finally sets
making a very neat job of it.
Here is the McMaster Carr info for small pack sizes.
Greg

      74695A12

     Bayonet Mixer Nozzle, 5.9" L
      With 1/4" Taper  Tip
     $1.00Each

           66215A34
     Devcon Dev-Pak Adhesive Cartridge #14345
      Flex Welder, 1.7 Ounce (50 Ml)
     $11.02 Each

           74695A71
     Duo-Pak Dispensing Cartridge Gun and Mixer
      With 1:1 & 2:1 Ratio Plungers
     $22.86 Each