Fwd: SOLOCOCOLOCO @ Miami-Key Largo

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: SOLOCOCOLOCO @ Miami-Key Largo
From: Romeisle@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:17:15 EDT

--- Begin Message ---
To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SOLOCOCOLOCO @ Miami-Key Largo
From: Romeisle@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:44:15 EDT
Full-name: Romeisle
 Hey Gents,  Lots of things have been going on with me since Ft Desoto,  but
the Mia- Kl was a riot . First let me explain to you that the MYC puts on this
race yearly and this was the 50th Anniversary, it is aproximately 40 nms down
Biscayne Bay to Jewfish Creek in Key Largo, Yes there are salties!, no I did
not see one. yes there were probably in excess of ahundred boats, and the
SOLOCOCOLOCO was the smallest and Baddest. It was the first time I have taken
it
to the club and there were hundreds of  sailors including lots of Champions .
EVERY ONE LOVED IT!!!  I started a bit late since the wind was very light and I
had to bum a ride from a pro beach cat with tender, I made it to the start
line about 6min after the gun. with ghosting conditions and a hundred  boats to
windward it was not a pretty start, I inched my way to windward of the mono
fleet( now my fleet) as  the multiis rolled the whole fleet and went lower and
faster, I ended up in pretty good position with clear air and no one to
windward so I slowly began to overtake the boats, so that by Featherbed Bank,
aprox
20 miles down the bay and  four hours  later, I was leading the monos.
unfortunatelly Featherbed bank Pass , about half mile long was dead to
windward, the
wind had piped up to over 10 and I was engaged in a tacking ballet when from
astern appeared a 60 + motoryacht with a huge bow wave , I kept my eye on this
boat  for a while as it did not seem to backing off for the pass,  I tacked
again and then I saw the CHROME ELVIS STYLE GLASSES and the hand pushing the
thottles forward as tocross me before godforbid I would dare to cross him, when
he went by he did not even look down to see if I would resurface, I stuffed the
bow and over I went .
when I finally gathered myself and my cooler I looked up and found my speader
broken . I was helped by many of the bigmonos that had witnessed the whole
thing as they were just reaching the pass, one of the big boats sent a tender
tow me in to Matheson Hamock Park where I secured the Solo and got a ride to
retrive my van and trailer.   It was a long day....  there is always next
year. Next is the Mugg race , on may 7th, 44 nms down the St Johns River, Yes
there are alligators , but those are piece of cake compared to the Crocs.  Pepe

SOLOCOCOLOCO

--- End Message ---