Cleaning up the inside of the Hull

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Cleaning up the inside of the Hull
From: "Rob DesMarais, D.C." <drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:40:37 -0500
The best tool for this is your good old paint scraper with some new sharp
blades.  I?m using one with an 1 ½ and 1 ¾ inch blade.  The paint scrapers
that have 4 edges that you can rotate around as one dulls?  As long as you
keep steady pressure on the blade head with one hand and pull with the
other, it?ll take off all the glue and leave a fair surface.  I was working
away with a plane and in the same time it took me to ¼ of the inside, I did
the rest of the boat.

If you have any questions or concerns, let me know.  An older Scottish
carpenter that had refinished my 35? 1958 Knutson taught me this when he saw
me using a putty knife to strip the mahogany on the inside of my boat.  He
also use to be the caretaker on the Corronet (sp?).  It was a 100? or so
schooner.  There was an article on it in WoodenBoat years back.  Just keep
it flat on the surface and keep rotating the blades so you have a sharp
edge.  I wish I remembered this when I did the hull.  I could have saved
myself a day or two of sanding.

             Rob

GIF image