Re: Photos of the Swift for auction

To: gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx, rowr@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Photos of the Swift for auction
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:10:36 EDT
Greg,
You raised some excellent questions regarding the purchase of a partially
completed Swift.  I encountered many of the same issues when purchasing the
hull for USA020 from Tom and Felix.  Even though I ran into some  construction
mistakes, they were fixable and a great learning experience that  will help me
improve on USA040.  If I had it to do again, I would still  take the same
approach.  CAN062 is much further along than USA020 was, but  whoever wins the
bid,
will still have the satisfaction of completing the rigging  and foils and
learn how to replace them if they break.  Having just  completed the rudder,
cassette and CB, it feels like my skiff is finally  coming together.

Regarding the internal photos of the hull, I used a Canon Power Shot Elf
Digital with a 6 foot USB extension cable and the Canon RemoteCapture software
running on my laptop.  The RemoteCapture app allows you to set the camera  in
place with the USB cable running thru the drain holes and out the access  port,
lower the deck onto the hull, control the shutter and depth of  field.  The
AF and AE take great digital photos with the built-in  flash.  I positioned the
camera in various positions to see the fit at the  soldiers and bulkheads.
In macro mode, I could get some real close-up  pictures of my mistakes...  I
recommend to everyone to try this approach,  as it helps with the fitting
process.

Bill Scheumann
USA020 and USA040
Barrington, RI