Re: Fort De Sotho with Mustos?

To: "Ron Radko" <ron_radko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fort De Sotho with Mustos?
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:45:19 -0400
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Ron,
Thanks for the idea but we had already thought of it!
The Executive has discussed this matter when it was proposed that the Musto and or the AC Canoe class (who sail at a close by venue at the same time as us each year) be invited to our Spring Regatta venue, essentially making it an "Open performance class" Regatta. There was interesting discussion both for and against the proposal, and about its impression on one of our major sponsors Ronstan whose support is so crucial. (since the Musto is a Harken sponsored class). Anyway, the final decision not to do this was based on the imperative that, in the early stages of the class ,we should concentrate on excellent regatta and fun training events for the Swift. That such a combined event would have the capacity to place extra strain and expense on Regatta support and transport requirements and moreover, as we are expanding quite fast into using the park facilities which are not really designated for group meets and sailing Regattas we are cautious about the swelling the numbers of swifts alone. So while we are unsure about our expanding demands on the park, its facilities and ranger services it was decided that keeping it simple would be the best course of action for now. My understanding is that the decision can be revisited in later years and if people are interested it can be raised at our AGM at the North Americans coming up. I think on my part, and in the class in general, there would not be a great deal of resistance to helping out another struggling class after we are established as an annual event at this venue.

If you organize a separate regatta for the US Mustos there may well be a good number of Swift Solo class members who would like to come and have a try out of the Musto, so please keep us informed of your plans. We strongly believe that our class is so obviously benefited by your efforts in promoting the Musto class, in that the more people who are exposed to the thrills of sailing of high performance one person skiffs the better for all. If you can obtain sponsorship for alternative Regattas (in other more traditional venues) that would be open to the Swift Solo Class, please keep in touch and we will do our utmost to ensure the regattas are well attended, and successful.
Swift Solo Class President
Greg Ryan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Radko" <ron_radko@xxxxxxxxxxx>