Re: cb trunk const

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: cb trunk const
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:11:13 -0400
Just adding my 2c for the sake of a good discussion here,

Roger Wrote
take a sharp knife and cut the hybrid like butter. This is a lot more work, but gives a better edge finish and also eliminates having to sand kevlar edges to shape.

I've used this method for finished edges of aramid cloths and its a good one. It's especially helpful, fast and simple for cutting off the hybrid at the gunwales when your done reinforcing the inside of the boat. If you can glue incompletely set epoxy you get a chemical bond as strong as the resin if not you will find that the sanding of hybrid edges and joints will produce a stronger mechanical joint when some of the kevlar fibers from both surfaces are protruding into the glue layer. This goes a long way to prevent delamination failure especially at right angle joins of our narrow 1/4 inch thick material and sanding helps in that not only the kevlar but the endgrain has also been exposed or re-exposed.

I do second Bill's suggestion of covering the whole sheet of material used to make the CB trunk and internal bulkheads and soldiers with peelply before cutting out the shapes. The lighter weight fine grained peel ply is just as good as the coarse woven stuff for our purpose and when the bulkheads are recoated with epoxy after installation, the fine woven texture that it leaves behind holds less epoxy on the surface.

BTW, no smoking and no drinking either! Its much much worse than epoxy or amine vapor, aramid glass or carbon dust.
Greg