Possible source for Carbon Kevlar Hybrid

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Possible source for Carbon Kevlar Hybrid
From: Al Pritchard <al.pritchard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:45:38 -0400
With the current situation with carbon shortages I thought Id share this with the class. (Forwarded quote below message)

Fabric Development, Inc supplied me a quote for the Hybrid material for the solo build. The prices look to be the same as offered by US Composites. And Jim informed me that they have a substantial quantity at the below quoted price. (I.e. No Shortage, they will just make more)

One thing to keep in mind, and perhaps a materials expert can shed some light on this. The Kevlar used in there weave is 1150, with a blue die. This is the only strand weight produced by Du-Pont for died Kevlar. In comparison, natural (yellow) hybrid uses 1140 Kevlar strands. Jim told me that this equates to a slightly thinner Kevlar strand, and thus does not have the same strength properties. If we were building rocket ships this would be a concern, but as we are hand laying, without vacuuming, he did not see this as being a notable reduction in the strength of the compost material.

I have not ordered my material yet, and am interested in the thoughts of others, including Bram, regarding the use of Blue Weave as a substitute.

Al Pritchard

Swift Solo #069 - Anastasia

Begin forwarded message: