Re: jib track blocks

To: al.pritchard@xxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: jib track blocks
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:18:01 EDT
I would agree with what Al has to say except Mark is moving his traveler
back to follow the angle of the forestay (as Al point out, this is  crucial).
This outcome will indeed give him 1/4" more overlap with the  main.  In theory
you could move the jib track however high you want without  affecting the shape
of he jib as long as you move it aft at the same rate as the  forestay and as
long as you let the tack downhaul off an equal amount.  At  some point you
will begin to get significantly more overlap on the main and a  significantly
higher C/E.  The affect of the extra 1/4" overlap is  insignificant in my
opinion.  The affect of the 1/2" high C/E of the jib is  likely also
insignificant
and may actually be.0000000001% beneficial in all but  heavy air (the lower
part of the jib is in low velocity air).