Looking for sources of composites in the UK. Help please.

To: <BDally6107@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Looking for sources of composites in the UK. Help please.
From: "Stuart Williams" <skw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:52:43 +0100
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Bram et. al,

It has been a while since I bought my plans and I am just about at the stage of
mustering myself to get building. The big project that has been in the way has
been building a garage in which to build the boat. When we moved into the house
(may moons ago) the surveyor described the previous garage as being "a breeze
block garage of inferior construction" - and despite think I could make a go of
building a Swift in it, I decided that the crumbling floor, lack of windows and
door plus the british climate... well one would not want the build quality to
suffer because of the elements. Any way my 5.6m x 7m boatshed is a couple of
weeks away from completion and I want to turn my attention to procuring the raw
materials of to get started of a Swift.

I'm a little stuck finding a local (UK) source of the S-glass. I've had this
response from a supplier:

    Re: 20 yards 50" wide 6oz. S-glass 8 harness satin weave

    "I cant get a 8 shaft in 6oz they are all at least 9oz or heavier.
    The nearest i can get is 4 shaft satin 190gsm. 351 style."

I'm a complete novice at this stuff and I fear that terminology and
specifications may be different for materials source in the UK.

190gsm seems close to 5.5oz/sq.yard  However 4 rather than 8 "shaft"  weave
doesn't sound good. Equally 8 shaft at 9oz adds weight, I assume both directly
and possibly through creating a thicker skin.

Looks like my options are:

1) Presevere looking for suppliers than can supply to the spec. Can anyone help
me identify a UK supplier?
2) Go with the heavier option, but that doesn't seem wise to me and I'd be
concerned about meeting the class rules.
3) Import the materials.

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Stuart Williams
GBR 051
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Williams;Stuart
FN:Stuart Williams
ORG:Hewlett-Packard
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+44 117 3128285
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+44 1454 620173
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Filton Road=0D=0AStoke
Gifford;BRISTOL;;BS34 8QZ
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Filton Road=0D=0AStoke
Gifford=0D=0ABRISTOL BS34 8QZ
ADR;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Lilac Cottage=0D=0AThe
Green=0D=0ATockington;BRISTOL;;BS32 4LQ
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Lilac Cottage=0D=0AThe
Green=0D=0ATockington=0D=0ABRISTOL BS32 4LQ
X-WAB-GENDER:2
URL;HOME:http://www.lilac-cottage.org.uk
EMAIL;INTERNET:skw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
EMAIL;INTERNET:skw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx