Re: Bulkhead 8 and CB Trunk alignment

To: ROWR@xxxxxxxxx, drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Bulkhead 8 and CB Trunk alignment
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:08:30 EST
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
I like Rogers way of installing the trunk.  I do, however, want  to be sure
that we don't underestimate the potential of  a significant problem that I've
addressed in the past.  The problem  stems from how we transfer the high loads
from the centerboard to the hull (yes,  I know that it is actually a
daggerboard and daggerboard trunk)

First, the sides of the trunk are there to hold out water--not to take the
loads from the board.  The cassette blocks at the top and bottom need to
transfer the entire load to the hull and deck--not the  trunk sides.  If you
precut
the hole and it is even a little bit larger  than the trunk in any direction,
you will likely be loading the trunk sides and  your boat will eventually
begin leaking.  To avoid this, take time and care  in the process and be sure
that your cassette blocks are beveled so that  they only touch that 1/4 width
of
the hull skin and deck skin where you want to  transfer this load.

I've attached a PDF that was written before we started using the threaded
rods to hold the blocks in so ignore the part about using 5200.  Nothing is
required to hold the block in except the threaded rods now.