AW: AW: Aussie Swift taking shape

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AW: AW: Aussie Swift taking shape
From: "Felix Schliebitz" <f.schliebitz@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:35:38 +0100
Hey Roger,

more from the sand man :o).

In school we learned that epoxy is a "gap-loving" material other then glues
like yellow glue or resorcinol (how do you spell that again?).
But I'd trust the guys from West System on that quote.
Now here is another advice that might cost you (money). Use smaller steps
when you move up the grits. Which means you need to buy more sandpaper.

It's like honing your plane blade or chisel. The more stones you have the
faster you can move up to 3000 or 8000. It takes for ever to get those
scratches out from your grinder with a 3000 honing stone, but it only takes
a couple passes on each stone if you can squeeze in a 320, 800, 1000, 1500
for example. It's crazy but it does make a difference although you might not
be able to tell from the shine of your edge. If you use your hand plane for
finishing surfaces you'd be able to tell the difference. It's really
annoying when you stain wood and you run out off one grit of sandpaper. You
just cannot compensate for it. The wood will absorbs the stain differently
and you end up with a different colour. There is some microscopic
explanation for this phenomenon.

Back to our little problem at hand. You could start with 80 grit but it
might take you longer to "carve" out the shape you are looking for.  One
option might be to go diagonally with 80 grit then move down to 60 and go
with the grain and then go back to 80 and 100 with the grain.

One rule of thumb: use smaller steps in the beginning (60, 80, 100, 120,
180, 250, 320 ... )

To add to the advice of vacuuming (Hoover-ing) ... you could use a small
broom as well. It helps to get rid of those loose glue lumps which you might
roll across your beautiful cedar. You have better control over your progress
and if your are not producing any new dust you know your sandpaper is dull.
Some sandpapers also start to disintegrate which will leave those really
hard silicone-something particles on the wood and dull your new sheet of
sandpaper really fast. If you use a new bag when you start, you can use the
fine dust really well as filler, if you still need any.