Re: Trailers

To: "Ron Watt" <rwatt54@xxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Trailers
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:18:53 -0500

Seitech have trailer options for about anything you care to tow. There are a lot of pictures at their site here http://www.seitech.com/m/_general/photos_trailerracks.asp
In the picture here, you can see the kit they sell to adapt a small trailer to the dolly. The bottom boat's dolly just slides up on the trailer and sits in its dolly while being transported on the trailer. If you want to carry the gear on the top or need to add another boat you can get the double rack frame shown here. (I got the tripple rack for our two 9ers and gear).

The 49er dolly doesnt twist but has two central spines where as the laser dollys here (look at the top one) has only one spine. I prefer the double spine even for the swift which is a lot lighter than the 49er. I think a modified 49er dolly would be good for a Swift. You could call Peter and ask him to make the calculations and the modified dolly if you already dont have one.

I found that the Seitech plastic injection moulded axel fittings would break with the 49er's weight when my crew and I were standing in the boat rigging it on the dolly. In order to get around this problem you will need to remove the webbing sling and replace with a solid support as Brams plans show. I suggest you get B wheels at least, if you go for the seitech dolly. the wheels they sell have delrin plastic needle bearings which dont clog with sand and a thick 1 inch axel tube.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Watt" <rwatt54@xxxxxxxxx>