Raking....

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Raking....
From: Christian Rasmussen <Christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:54:50 -0400
And on to something else..

As mention on the alias before, Kris Henderson came up with the raking suggestion in Florida. This is fairly
common concept in other classes. Which allows for raking, 29ers do not, but I suppose if you single hand one you are already
breaking the class rules.
For those who  rig/derig a lot it can become a pain to measure this every time. I borrowed the following concept
from the 505 class.

Its basically a string attached to a known point on the forestay, E.g. like the top precourt block, using a
kiteblock glued to the forestay fitting it goes aft and passes over a scale and finally ends in a short peice
of shock cord.

See attached pictures. Its my hope that if we all agree on the system we can work out a matrix with a
tuning guideline that basically have wind speed on one side, and rake setting on the other.  The numbers are
inches + 23 feet., 0 is 24 feet.

The main purpose is to help share tuning information. Eventually we should try and establish tuning gauges
for additional important controls like the cunningham.

Christian

JPEG image

JPEG image