sailing in light air

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: sailing in light air
From: "Mark White" <mwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:17:57 -0600
I was racing yesterday with E scows in 4 knots, going to weather we were very
close.  Down wind was a different story.  They have symmetrical spinnakers, but
still reach going down wind.  If I follow their course the boat moves like a
snail.  If I heat the boat up, I am almost reaching straight across the course
not making much headway to the leeward mark. Am I doing something wrong or do I
just need more wind?  Any pointers on different wind speeds?