mast finish update

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: mast finish update
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:02:34 EST
About 26 months ago I refinished my Swift mast with one very very thin coat
of WEST with 207 hardener.  I promised to keep you informed as it  aged.

Well it looked really good until about November of this year.  It has  been
in the weather for 23 months now and in November the finish suddenly went  to
hell almost overnight. I had seen some warning signs where it rested on  the
bunks of my trailer for the 15000 miles of travel it has seen prior  to
November
but nothing significant.

The great news is that the finish is so thin that it will take no time to
wet sand the balance off and prep for re-coating.  I remain convinced  that
this
is a great way to go.  I believe that I added under 3 ounces of  weight to
the mast and unlike some of the alternatives that may have lasted a  bit
longer,
prep for re coating will be quick and easy.  I will remove all  of the old
finish and therefore not add any additional weight.

You can see in the pictures the part below the boat cover and the part  above.

JPEG image

JPEG image