A thought or two ...

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: A thought or two ...
From: Bill Strosberg <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 19:28:08 -0400
Folks:

I really appreciate the personal response I got from one East Coast member regarding his inability to schedule a trip here to Ottawa for the Ottawa Skiff Grand Prix this year.

Further to the recent Sailing Anarchy discussions regarding creating a partially finished molded SwiftSolo hull to be completed by the home builder, it hit me that serious class growth can easily be accomplished within your current homebuild mandate as long as there are market areas and potential builders that haven't been tapped.

Web sites and on-line forums just don't cut it for getting people interested in a serious time and money commitment like building a SwiftSolo. People need to SEE the boat - which is demonstrated by the pockets of class growth surrounding current builders. Let's face it, sailing high performance boats and racing in general is not a mainstream activity - but when there is an opportunity to get a boat in front of a highly interested crowd of knowledgeable prospects, it may be worth making a serious effort as a class association to be there.

Our regatta attracts skiff people from Ontario, Quebec, New England and the central/east coast in general. People here compete at Worlds level in I-14s - and we sit about an hour and a half from one of the best (former Olympic) racing venues in North America at Kingston. We expect to have upwards of 40 skiff style boats on the water, plus Development and International Canoes, catamarans and some Contenders. Our host club has one of the largest fleets of I-14s in North America, and large 505, Albacore and Fireball fleets. In short, fertile ground for SwiftSolo prospects.

I know it always comes down to individuals when fleet building is a goal, so I'd like to ask you as a class association to try to find someone who could bring a boat up - because it will benefit everyone. I know of builds in progress in Ontario, and one local guy who is stalled. The class representative you send does not have to be competitive, or even sail - we really want to see a SwiftSolo in person as it were.

Thanks for listening and letting me lurk on your listserver for the past three years!

--
Bill Strosberg