RE: Sealing the drain hole

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Sealing the drain hole
From: "karl Schulmeisters" <karlsch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:06:32 -0700
I would recommend RTV aka 5200 aka “bedding compound” its exactly designed
for this. I’ve used it when I’ve replaced drain plug assemblies on dinghies
from as far back as college days.  The key to making it leakproof is to be
overly liberally in applying the initial compound (kinda like the
deck/bulkhead joints) and then to snug the assembly in place BUT NOT TOO
TIGHT.  If you crunch it in too tight, you potentially squeeze all the
compound out from between the surface of the assembly and the hull.  Then
clean up with vinegar or acetone or mek.  And let it dry completely before
moving it.

   _____