proposed changes to the rules

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: proposed changes to the rules
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:18:36 EST

Here are the guts of the rule changes and reasoning that I proposing.  Actual
language needs to be finished.  Remember, these are recommendations and
subject to debate.  Because my voice is shot, I've not had the opportunity to
run
them by my normal sounding board (Greg Ryan).  I know that I can count on Greg
to take issue with any or all of these items if he disagrees.

Rule 2.1.4 needs to be deleted.  The annual dues will not be very high and
theoretically some other class could have its members buy 50 memberships and
gain control of our class without ever owning a boat.  Only boat owners should
be
allowed to vote.

Rule 3.1a needs to have language included that makes clear the need to be
licensed prior to bonding of the hull and deck.  This should replace the (but
prior to completion) clause.  This subject was brought up in conjunction with
the
request by some DN sailors that I met with in Frankfort Michigan.  It becomes
an issue because we want to get a couple of CNC shops certified to make
stations, bulkheads, transoms and other misc. for sail to those who want to
move to
completion quickly.  Each such shop will need to pay the costs of
certification that the end product is exactly the same as the originals that
everyone now
has.  I'm not going to spend any time arguing with CNC people as the very
first attempt substantiated the need for this certification.  Initially, I
refused to engage in this process as the owner of the design.  I felt that the
loss
of control would likely lead to a lot of bootlegged stations.  This was one of
the reasons for the âphotoâ requirement.  VMG Skiffs in Frankfort will be
the first to have this certification (in addition to their builder
certification).  They are paying my expenses to come to their facility in
January to
complete the process.  We should try to get at least one European and one
Australian
company to provide the same services.  To be fair, we will calculate the
costs associated with the VMG experience and charge them the same amount (plus
couple of pints).

Rule 4.2  Verbiage needs to be added that the bulkheads must comply with the
instructions in the construction manual. (this verbiage is included in 5.12.7
b but needs the photo requirement in big letters here to make sure that nobody
inadvertently forgets).     This change is needed to keep the bulkheads
uniform throughout the class.  A photo showing the bulkheads filleted in place
needs to be part of that language (the other reason for the photos).  The need
for
this photo was discovered at VMG Skiffs as we were going over the locations
for the additional forward ports.  Language also needs to be added hear that
makes clear the need to provide the photos and pay the fee prior to bonding the
hull and deck (boats completed without doing so will not be allowed into the
class).  It is true that someone could fillet all of the bulkheads in place and
then grind them back out and replace them with some other configuration.  It
is also true that someone could build the entire boat, get it measured, cut
the hull off of the deck, replace the bulkheads with something illegal and
re-bond the deck. I'm not terribly worried about either of these happening.
The
likelihood that the class will be able to afford a flexible scope type of
camera
sometime in the future should deter anyone that devious.

Rule 4.7.2  This rule needs some more discussion.  This could be something
really unique about our class but it could also be something that causes people
to use duct tape to comply because of cost.  If we want this rule we should
investigate the cost and provided members with the location where they can get
it done.  I would suggest that we establish a reasonable per boat budget and if
we cannot get it done within that budget, we scrap the idea.  It may be that
we can negotiate with Ronstan or someone to foot the bill for placing their
logo over 15% of the area.  This needs work.  The class needs to let me know
how
to proceed.

Rule 5.5 and 5.6 needs a little cleanup in language.  This now implies that I
can't put a tape measure on my own boat.  Yes, I agree that I'm being
paranoid but imagine someone new to sailing reading this rule.

Rule 5.12.4 needs to have the words âperpendicular to the centerlineâ
deleted and a provision for a third hole for the lowers to attach perhaps by
stating
that all three shroud attachment holes must be between 76 Ââ and 77 Ââ

Rule 5.13.3b  needs to have âshall exceed 60mmâ changed to 75mm

Rule 5.13.6c needs to have any sectional limitation removed

Rule 5.13.6 e should include language informing builders how to get the
needed information.