a possible amendment

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: a possible amendment
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:30:48 EST

Eldon is proposing an amendment that would either disallow or require
different tolerances for CNC boats.  If there is support for this view please
post it
on the list server and we will entertain such an amendment.

A bit of history and some facts and opinions to consider.

I.                 I am against such an amendment
II.               You are required to build your boat within a Ââ (12MM)
boundary.  That is Ââ (6mm) each side of the lines on your station
templates.  If
you are having trouble cutting your stations to that tolerance you should
definitely support this idea.
III.             My guess is that there is not a set of templates out there
that approaches 33% of that margin for error.
IV.            The broader the tolerance, the more likely that someone will
redesign the boat to get around the intent of the rules.  While the rules are
clear that the measurer is to disallow such attempts, this is subjective and
lends itself to litigation.  The actual difference in tolerance between hand
cutting and CNC should be about 1/16â for someone with average skills using
some
care.
V.              The reasons for changing my stance and allowing CNC to a
limited number of certified commercial builders include the following:   Our
new
DN ice boaters Michael and Randy (blame them) convinced me that they would like
to have the option of buying not only the stations but also the completed
bulkheads and transom and possibly other parts.  I asked VMG Skiffs (John,
Lynn,
Pat, and Anita) if they were interested in providing these parts to the class
and they said yes.  This will allow someone who wants to build their own boat
but is in a hurry to complete the project in half the time.  It will, of
course, cost more.  VMG Skiff will be required to pay the cost of certification
(travel expenses, lodging, etc.) and to collect and pay each required license
fee.  The big advantage is that the machine can do this work in 1/10 the time
or
less.

Please respond if you have support for Eldon's amendment that would either
disallow this CNC service to the class or require them to have different
tolerances.  We will put a hold on composing the final draft until you have had
20
hours to respond. If there is support we will end debate have Eldon draft the
amendment, and âcall for the questionâ tomorrow at 2pm.  Because it is
Thanksgiving weekend in the USA we will postpone voting on the final draft
until
Monday the 1st of December.

Eldon, Please prepare the language for the ammendment and post it ASAP.