Re: a possible amendment (unecessary in my opinion)

To: <BDally6107@xxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: a possible amendment (unecessary in my opinion)
From: "Ron Deane" <rdea6314@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:28:10 +1000
Bram, Greg, and the Swift Solo BB,

Having spent about 7 years of my life engineering and selling CNC and robotic
profiling equipment, into a variety of industries, I feel competent to comment
about the accuracy and repeatability of the technology.

There is absolutely no question that CNC, or robotic equipment will produce a
set of components to a level of accuracy that it is almost impossible to
achieve manually. And that accuracy will be repeated time after time - every
set will be the same as its predecessor. Exactly, to within a couple of
thousands of an inch or hundredths of a millimetre. However, this is only true
if the tooling is kept sharp, the tooling offsets are accurately set, and the
bulk material clamping is consistently secure throughout the entire process.

But philosophically, in terms of the effect on the class, and the performance
of each boat, all of that is almost immaterial.

As an open development class, the hull dimensions are to be controlled, as Bram
has said, to within plus or minus 1/4" of the design section profiles, (and
consequently, the waterlines, buttocks and diagonals).

Within that envelope, there is continuum of accuracy possible for anyone
attempting to build within the rules, rather than bend them.

At one end, there will be the roughest of home builder, who, with even limited
care in cutting and without sanding the station forms, should be able to jigsaw
them to within, at most, 1/8" of the line.

To produce a profile with a tolerance any wider than that would mean that the
builder was either totally careless, vision impaired or physically uncoodinated
or both. It is unlikely that someone with any of theses disabilities would
choose to build such a fast, physically demanding skiff design as the Swift
Solo where all three capabilities will be required to effectively (and safely)
sail it.

At the other end of the scale is the high volume licenced production builder,
who, for reasons of speed and economy, will have the components CNC or
robotically machined.

In between, will be the average home builder or the low volume licenced
production builder, whose output will be somewhere between those accuracy
extremes. In my opinion, (which supports your guess Bram), most of these would
be well within 1/3rd of the tolerance (1/6" or about 4 mm total). The majority
(also in my opinion) would be well under about half of that (less than 1/10" or
about 2 mm total). The most careful, and skilled, of the home or low volume
constructors will be able to approach the accuracy of the CNC profiled
components.

If the intent is (as I believe it to be) to keep the class rules simple but
effective, then again, in my opinion, there is no good reason to introduce
complexity

All of these production methods will produce a boat that measures, and conforms
with the rules, and with the intent of the rules.

A long winded response perhaps, but as I see it, there is absolutely no reason
to introduce an amendment that requires one set of measurements for hulls
produced with CNC equipment, and another for those produced manually. To do so
would introduce unnecessary complexity. It would also produce two fleets,
rather than one, with, in all probability, no discernable performance
difference between them.

Seems to me also, that the licence fee and registration fee issue is crystal
clear. You either want a boat that conforms with the class rules, registered
with the class, that measures,  - or you don't.

If you do - you pay $375, provide proof of correct construction and get it
officially measured. You receive the appropriate documentation and you go
racing with the fleet.

If you don't, you cheat, and somehow get around paying and providing proof of
construction or having it measured. In this latter case, don't ever expect to
race with the rest of the fleet.

Simple really.

On another subject, I'd personally like this coming weekend to more fully
peruse the rules and these latest suggestions. So far they look logical,
understandable and enforceable.

Thanks for soldiering on with the process, the design and the class. It
promises to be very exciting. The issue of rules seems to be approaching
finality, despite the vexations.

Regards, Ron Deane,
Brisbane, Australia.