Housekeeping on class rules

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Housekeeping on class rules
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:41:26 EST
Thanks to the keen eye of one of our long time advocates we have some
housekeeping to take care of and the rewrite of the rudder rule (Greg and I
have
improperly communicated on this one).

I've been twisting Peter Fynn's arm for a long time to start a boat and while
I've so far not been able to shove him over the edge, he has taken the time
to point out the following errors and questions regarding the rules.
5.13.3f  The band needs a maximum dimension too.  If a boat has a very wide
boom band, the boom (5.13.3g) can be set very low as the boom top only has to
be within the band.  I assume you also want a lower position for the boom.

5.13.3k  Needs a metric measurement here (176 3/4 inches).

5.13.6e  Does this mean that builders of the Swift Solo have to buy their
rudder blades from a licensed builder, rather than build their own?  What does
it
take to be licensed by International Racing Sailboats Pty Ltd. to build your
own rudder blade?

7.5. g. and h. should be a. and b.  Seems to be a follow-on from 5.13.10 a-f.

7.6.i  should be deleted.  There is nothing here.

All of these items have been changed and will be posted in 10 minutes as a
new PDF file on the website.  It is not our intention to require an official
49er rudder but it is our intention to keep people from straying very far from
the design.  The reason is that the very top sailors can get by with very high
aspect rudders with low wetted surface area.  That rudder will be, by design,
faster but will not be manageable by average sailors.  This rule will keep the
"rice from getting richer".

If we hear of no objections to these changes, we will vote tomorrow.  Please
vote by posting to the listserver with the subject line including your sail
number and "yes" of 'no".  This will keep us from having to open these emails.
I have a list of email addresses to keep bogus voters out of the loop.

Thanks again for your patience and your help.