Re: Why Calipers?

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Why Calipers?
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:40:33 -0500
Actually I use calipers for measuring just about anything less than 6 inches if
I can put my hands on them in the clutter else I use a tape like everyone else,
but my point was just that there are cheap calipers out there.

For the strongbacks it is only important that they be less than the size of the
hole in the section templates. So Ron is right, calipers are superfluous. Shims
and wedges are a good idea while securing the sections with ply gussets. I laid
out groups of sections (14-10) and (1/2 to 9) with the waterlines and centers
aligned  and drilled small sight holes that I could fire a laser through. In
the evening it was a help to align and true the section templates. Not really
necessary though.

When making the strongbacks don't do as I did, but keep the screws away from
the edges as far as you can and you can quickly use a router to roundover the
edges of the strongback and this allows the holes to be cut in the section
templates with the plunge router and a strongback hole template (one for each
of the two strongback hole sizes).

I had finished some of the holes for some of the templates way earlier but it
wasn't a rewarding job and cutting these holes held me up for weeks and weeks
until just recently as I found other things to do and procrastinated about
doing the holes.

Greg
Rose - USA009