Re: building fairing boards?

To: <warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: building fairing boards?
From: "Ron Deane" <rdea6314@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:47:29 +1000
Warren,

Check out the instructions for both building and using fairing boards on
http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/Shop9.htm
about half way down the page.

Hook and loop paper certainly makes them easy to use, but in reality, you
will not be changing paper much given the size of the project. You may only
need two sheets of paper to do the whole boat initially, and then another
couple to fair it after glassing and application of filler coats, if you
want to be that thorough.
See http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/Shop13.htm

A simpler solution is to use sheets of regular aluminium oxide paper split
lengthwise and stuck to the plywood board using 3M Repositionable Spray
Adhesive. That gives you a bond like that of a post-it note, that can be
removed and repositioned.

The handles on the boards can be made from a couple of blocks of scrap wood,
or you can go hi-tech and purchase replacement plastic totes and handles as
used on a plane, screwed to the board. The scrap blocks of wood are just as
good, perhaps better, - they spread the load over the board a little more
evenly.

Should take you all of about half an hour to make, and you'll have the
satisfaction of making your own tools.
Have fun.

Ron
Brisbane, Australia