Class update

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Class update
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 01:06:26 EDT
Swift Solo members,

Just a note to bring you up to date.

First, I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew and am falling down a bit
on posting your pictures and comments.  I hope to get caught up soon.  Keep
that info coming and I will get to it.  Don't misunderstand me--I'm enjoying
every minute of time I'm spending on the class but with several boats getting
close to hitting the water, priority has been shifted to making sure everyone
has
what they need to get going.

The spars and sails issues are essentially settled (we're waiting for pricing
on the sails).  The rigging manual still needs an updated index and some
minor editing.  Work on a supplier for boat covers is at the top of the list
along
with writing the "how to" manual.  The new main is very interesting and I'm
attempting to get out sailing enough to write a coherent paragraph about rig
setting for various wind conditions since it is completely different from a
standard mainsail (the fact that I'm having to spend so much time sailing is
likely bringing tears to your eyes so I'll try to stop whining).

Anyone others who are considering buying a boat from VMG should get them a
deposit soon as their pricing will move up starting the 15th.  I can tell you
with certainty that their boats are as good a value as you will find.

I talked with Mike Jocelyn the other day and asked him to write a piece about
his experience Swift Solo sailing (Mike bought 001 from me last year).  Mike
sent me a hand written letter (he is not computerized) and I've typed it for
the class as I told him I would.  When he bought the boat from me he wanted to
sail it for a while before getting any instruction (except over the phone).
I've learned a lot from both his calls and his letter regarding what to expect
from sailors that have no skiff experience.  I've attached a copy of his
letter and if anyone wants his phone number, send me an email.

The "How to" manuals first chapter will be directed to those without skiff
helming experience and should be read carefully.  Doing so will make your life
much easier and your early experiences a lot more fun.  Because several of our
sailors are either at or within a month or two of launching, I will post
unedited versions as I write them--just as I have the rigging manual.  While
this
process substantiates my English composition teachers theory that I'm
illiterate and beyond hope, it does get the guts of the information out much
earlier.
Save your paper and don't print it until you need it since it will undergo
many changes.

Work hard to get your boats in the water this summer.  Remember, Higgins Lake
is not that far off.

Best regards and thanks for all your help,