Re: s-glass(Mast step dimension)

To: christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: s-glass(Mast step dimension)
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:34:47 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Christian,

This raises a good point that I've been spending some time thinking about.
Having witnessed some failures in the past (especially in the 49er)  I came to
the conclusion that mast steps in general are poorly thought out and decided
to design a new cross section that I shared with Greg.  While I remain
convinced that this design is superior, I realized that if I use it I cannot
lend my
spare masts to anyone at regattas nor can I borrow a spare from anyone else.

Because it is my intention to eventually carry spares of most components
(rudder, mast, boom, spinnaker pole. rudder box), I abandoned the project and
hope
everyone realizes that, if they break something, their ability to borrow or
purchase spares at a major events will be limited if they deviate much from the
standard.  Just a thought to consider.

Two other quick points that are being added to the rigging manual.

1.  I believe that the rubber crap on the outer end of the tiller extensions
should be removed and that the extensions should be covered with bicycle
handlebar tape for nearly their full length.  Those sailing from beaches will
find
the small amount of friction created when both extension are on the deck handy
for pushing down blades and preparing the main for dousing prior to landing
(a kind of autopilot) plus you rarely have the luxury of sailing with your hand
on the end of the tiller extension for an entire sail.

2.  The footloop mainsail hoisting device was omitted.  It makes hoisting
much easier and is easy and cheap to make.

Regards,