Re: Swift Solo construction errata and sails

To: drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx, warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Swift Solo construction errata and sails
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:04:53 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Just a note about changes and data organization:

There have been three editions of the manual and each of those have had two
versions.  We do this because we believe in constant and continuous improvement
and because it would be a shame to not share better methods as we become
aware of them.  The down side is that this process is ongoing and therefore any
attempt to write a definitive final issue will be obsolete before it gets out
of
the printers office.  These changes are simply better ideas and any boat
produced even from the earliest manual will still be correct and measure, it
just
may not have benefited from the ongoing R&D that we've done.  I hope it's not
my ego talking when I say that the first Swift Solo was better than the other
two major single handed skiff classes and that we have made the boat much
better and easier to sail since then while they have remained "one design"
right
down to their shock cord attachments.  This is the beauty of having one design
rules on the boat while leaving running rigging and some other important
things open.

So here's the deal!  I will continue to share the outcome of my R&D (the
successful part) if you guys will manage this information yourselves (with
whatever help Warren can provide).  That means going through the data Warren
has
compiled and continuing to read the email on this list server.  If you're just
starting, spend a couple of hours going through the website and errata.  Print
those things that are important and stick them in your manual in the
appropriate
area.  The alternative is for me to spend a great deal of time organizing
data and ideas instead of writing about them.  You'd be amazed how few new
ideas
and discoveries will be made if we take the second route.

We are trying to get the pricing on the sails very soon.  Apparently the
China loft has been slammed with business and we are still eight weeks from
delivering final suits of sails (we are being conservative by bringing in one
suit
first to ensure they are the same as the sails we sent them-- this may be
overkill but I'd sure hate to bring in 15 suits and find they had some
differences
from the originals (the small details are very important on these sails).
Those who need sails before then will need to get some used 49er sails and cut
them down (I'll provide an instruction PDF for cutting them down by next
Monday).  These cut down sails will be good practice and beginner sails.

Best regards--work hard,