Rudders

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Rudders
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:49:55 -0400
Just a bit of info for those making rudder blades using the NYC skiffs Spyder
foam rudder cores.
The 49er rudder and the NYC skiffs rudder cores are exactly the same setion
shape. However to maintain thesame area and to approximate the shape of the
49er foil yet make them easier to fabricate the aspect ratio is a little
higher. The board is deeper. I think this is a good thing as it keeps more
blade in the drink in an emergency :-)
Note you will probably need to cut off 2 1/2 inches from the top if you dont
and put some kind of handle in this region. If you dont cut it off you should
mark the board with a contrasting color line or put a pin through it so that
the measurer and other competitors can see where the top of the board should be
in the rudder cassette. The measurer will need to be satisfied that you have
only the (approximately) 350 sq in of rudder in the water. You could always
have less if you want by pulling it upbut dont sail downwind near me :-)
Greg
Attachment Rudder Blades.ppt