Re: rudder box

To: Aikisu@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: rudder box
From: Christian Rasmussen <christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:19:21 -0400
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes I have.

Based upon my experience. (Not nessesary what I did)
I would do the following.

- You need the finished rudder blade. (I used a 49er one, but I dont think
there are any more in the US)
- Wrap the blade in plastic, or use carpet plus plastic. (Similar to Brams
original centerboard box plans in the Manual) You want about 1/16 -1/8
thickness around the blade.
- Do one layer of S-glass,  3 layers of Carbon I used layers of  94900 (John R
Sweet) Its a 10.9 Oz. Then do a final layer of S-glass for protection. I think
25oz total carbon is enough.
- Wrap it up and cover it with peel ply or plastic. Depending on the finish you
want. Hang weights in it, similar to Brams instructions on the spreaders.
- Buy a yard of small size carbon sleave. Spray the pindle with silicon and set
it up the sleave. After it dries, you should be able to pull it off. You will
glue this onto the rudder box, but make sure that you have enough clearance, so
that when inserting the blade, it does not hit the gudgeons. Built up the
leading edge of the box with enough carbon/s-glass tape to avoid this problem.
Glue it on there, and fill the void with resing/woodflour. Then overlay with 3
inch. carbon tape. And finally som s-glass for protection. Not that this step
should probably be done in two parts, since its hard to hold the pindle "pipe"
straight while doing all the other stuff.

- I made the tiller from wrapping "stuff" around a cober pipe.  First one layer
of hybrid, which I was not able to get off, so I cut it, and glued it back
together with resin. Then I used a number of carbon sleaves over this hibrid
tube. I finally filled the thing with a 2 part marine foam.  If I had to do
this part again, I would try and find a balsa dovel stick, and use carbon
sleaves over it.
- Cut the box to size.
- Send the end of the tiller to comply better with the leading edge of the box.
Then glue it on there.  When dry fill/fair it. Then use carbon tape on all
sides.

- Let it dry. Put it between to bricks, and step on it. (Quality control)

Sorry for the crude instructions here. I figured I would put something together
quick. Maybe later I will put some detailed instructions together.

Christian