Boat of the year

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Boat of the year
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:17:28 EST

Lessons from Boat of the Year  competition.

Yes, we are a little disappointed about the outcome of the  BOTY.  One good
thing however,  is that it was a reminder of an important element of high
performance skiff  sailing--helming a skiff from the wire takes some time to
learn.
 While 49er, I-14, and Aussie 18 sailors  can step into a Swift Solo and feel
pretty much at home in an hour or two, other  sailors should expect to spend
a good deal of time working up the wind  range.  It will likely take an
average 420 or 470 sailor the good part of the summer before feeling really
comfortable with 20 knots of wind in a Swift.  Once you do get there, it will
hook
you  like nothing you've done before.
While I've not read the entire results (not on the  newsstand yet), one email
I received remarked that it was âunfair to test the  catamaran that won in 15
knots while testing the Swift in light airâ.  Since there were no judges with
skiff  experience, I can assure you that it would have been a disaster if
they'd sailed  the Swift for the first time in 15 knots of wind.
For what its worth, I donut believe that a 49er, an 18, or any skiff that  is
helmed from the wire would have won.  I voiced concern to the organizers
about this issue before accepting  their invitation and they assured me, among
other things, that Meade Gougeon  would be one of the judges and I knew that he
had sailed âAâ cats in the past  (helming from the wireâeven if on a
relatively stable cat).  It was a major disappointment that  neither Meade nor
Jan
sailed the boat nor did they come to see the Swift. I  suspect that they
recused
themselves because of the potential conflict of  interest.
In the end, it was good to get the exposure.  It also brought up the need to
repeat  the message: Every newcomer to skiff sailing will need to be patient
when you  launch your Swift.  You're stepping  into an incredible amount of
horsepower that requires time to harness.  When you see the speed of a Swift in
7
 knots of wind, you'll appreciate what you've got from the very start.  When
you feel the power of this boat for  the first time in a blow, it is easy to
conclude that it is impossibly  overpowered.  With a season of  experience
under your belt, you'll not be satisfied with anything less.
Best  regards,