Re: Boat of the year

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Boat of the year
From: Christian Rasmussen <Christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 09:45:59 -0500
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
I picked up a copy around Thanks giving, so it should be on the news stands. They dont write about
the boats which did not win, so no words on the swift.

They seem to praise the N2 (Catemaran) for its ease of sailing and speed.
The one thing that I didn't think was that great was the need to seal off the mast (so that there is more buyancy
when it flips) and therefor no halyards. So this means you have to raise the sails while the boat is flipped on
its side or before rasing the mast. Maybe this is not a problem, but it sounds like a pain to me.

BTW, the swift might do real well in 20knots on the water, but it does okay on land in 40 as I found out recently. Always remember to tie your boat down if you leave on the beach or outside. Luckily for me someone was nearby
and tied it down for me before it made it to the otherside of the parking lot. :(

Christian

BDally6107@xxxxxxx wrote:

Lessons from Boat of the Year competition.

Yes, we are a little disappointed about the outcome of the BOTY. One good thing however, is that it was a reminder of an important element of high performance skiff sailing--helming a skiff from the wire takes some time to learn. While 49er, I-14, and Aussie 18 sailors can step into a Swift Solo and feel pretty much at home in an hour or two, other sailors should expect to spend a good deal of time working up the wind range. It will likely take an average 420 or 470 sailor the good part of the summer before feeling really comfortable with 20 knots of wind in a Swift. Once you do get there, it will hook you like nothing you've done before.

While I've not read the entire results (not on the newsstand yet), one email I received remarked that it was âunfair to test the catamaran that won in 15 knots while testing the Swift in light airâ. Since there were no judges with skiff experience, I can assure you that it would have been a disaster if they'd sailed the Swift for the first time in 15 knots of wind.

For what its worth, I donut believe that a 49er, an 18, or any skiff that is helmed from the wire would have won. I voiced concern to the organizers about this issue before accepting their invitation and they assured me, among other things, that Meade Gougeon would be one of the judges and I knew that he had sailed âAâ cats in the past (helming from the wireâeven if on a relatively stable cat). It was a major disappointment that neither Meade nor Jan sailed the boat nor did they come to see the Swift. I suspect that they recused themselves because of the potential conflict of interest.

In the end, it was good to get the exposure. It also brought up the need to repeat the message: Every newcomer to skiff sailing will need to be patient when you launch your Swift. You're stepping into an incredible amount of horsepower that requires time to harness. When you see the speed of a Swift in 7 knots of wind, you'll appreciate what you've got from the very start. When you feel the power of this boat for the first time in a blow, it is easy to conclude that it is impossibly overpowered. With a season of experience under your belt, you'll not be satisfied with anything less.