Re: Epoxy and bolts

To: "rowr" <rowr@xxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Epoxy and bolts
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:04:09 -0500
Fabulous practical observation Roger, Thanks.
But, do you really mean Celsius not Fahrenheit? 120-130F is only 48.8-54.4C
Im guessing the bolt might need to be quite a bit hotter than that. Im fairly
confident that my black 49er mast has been much hotter than that over a long
period and many cycles and its stiffness (which is obviously functionally
measurable) has not changed all that much. So Swift builders need not bee too
anxious that your new boat will melt if you spill a cuppa tea on the deck. I
regularly autoclave my epoxy containing instruments at work so I am interested
in this phenomenon from another angle.

The degradation in properties of advanced composites, such as graphite/epoxy,
by exposure to elevated temperatures is a concern also of  NASA.

 Here is some info I dug up and I'm selectively paraphrasing here -

 Studies have shown that Graphite/epoxy composite materials exposed to
temperatures in the range of 177 C to 232 C (350 F to 450 F) can affect the
resin matrix sufficiently to degrade the mechanical properties.
In the temperature range below about 177 C (350 F), the dynamic modulus, G*, as
a function of strain amplitude were seen to be within the viscoelastic range.
Although there is also some evidence of changes in the range of 50C to 177C,
(chemical changes that im sure cannot be reversible) extreme aging at
temperature (10,000 hours at 121 C) studies have shown mixed results with some
graphite/epoxy laminate schedules exhibiting sheer strength decreases of up to
68% and yet other graphite/epoxy laminates increased in their sheer strength(up
to 32%).
References available if anyone is interested.

Figure 6. Interlaminar Shear Strength as a Function of Temperature and Exposure
Time

Greg