FLorida

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FLorida
From: rowr@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:06:58 -0800
Hello Bram and others, in answer to your question, yes the Calgarians arrived.
I have not heard from Mike, but I hope he did not have any problems with the
weather and the'vette.... Mike are you out there?

We hit some really bad conditions on the way back. We had torrential rain for
about 9hrs, thick fog for 7 hrs, black ice and freezing rain for 4 hrs and
finally got snowed in just North of Billings Montana! We crept along at
35km/hr until we found a tiny gas station that had a motel room at back,
welcome relief in a blizzard. As I drove into Calgary, after travelling 6000
miles with no issues, my engine seized 10 miles from my house with no warning,
and no, the AMA does not tow boats for free..........

I would just like to thank you for all the work that you put into the regatta.
While we were all working on boats and lying idly around, the food and
organisation just seemed to happen behind the scenes like clockwork. Special
thanks to Jane for all the effort she put in too. I think it was a very
successful event and judging by the comments throughout the week, it was
highly beneficial to everyone to interact with other Swifties. Lot's of good
info changed hands and I think the learning that come from this kind of event
really helps to strengthen the class.

I think that we will have to book the campsite a lot earlier next year as
there are going to be at least 30 boats down there with 70 people. Next year
we can hire a truck to start in Vancouver and go right through the US
collecting boats so that we can reverse the amount of time sailing vs.
travelling :P

For all of you out there that are reading e-mail rather than building your
Swift Solo......... why?

happy building and sailing
Roger