Re: NYC Skiff League - Call for membership.

To: Greg Ryan <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: NYC Skiff League - Call for membership.
From: Kevin Schultz <snoboard9455@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:39:05 -0400
I sure hope this takes off, i live in NJ and while I'm currently racing Lasers
as soon as I can afford to move to a skiff i will. i'm hoping to get swift solo
but might end up with a 29er, not sure yet, but as a racer on the LIS i can
attest to the lack of wind for most of the summer. I know there are random
skiff regattas up here, 2 years ago my club (Larchmont YC) hosted a huge 29er
event that got me interested in skiffs and I crewed on one, and this year
American YC hosted a mixed skiff/505 event that was pretty interesting, so
there is definately a lot of interest around here. What needs to happen is for
the kids coming out of all the junior sailing programs to go into skiffs
instead of keel boat crew becuase I know most of us enjoy going fast better
than grinding winches for someone, but the racing is all keelboats up here
after the junior level, and some Vangaurd 15 racing but a 2 man main/jib boat
doesn't sound very interesting. especially when you need to find crew to spend
the entire downwind leg acting as a whisker pole becuase the jib leads are in a
bad spot.