Re: Distinguished sail numbers

To: "Kevin Schultz" <snoboard9455@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Distinguished sail numbers
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 00:27:37 -0400
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
I have been in a RC at the finish of a regatta many times.
Its very hard to remember many numbers, say in a 4 second sequence, OK 2-3 but
6-7 or more?,  its pretty hard, to remember and write  even when someone is
calling them out and then the fool is adding corrections -- sorry no 00345, but
00357 was umm  -- no that was after 0987.  Ive done it many times, its bloody
hopeless and no RC -ever--ever-- tells the finishers what really happened in
that tight knot of 8 boats that finished wide across the line (sorry guys we
have no idea which of you actually crossed the line a whisker in front of the
others so we just made it up, you dont reallly care do you? You seem to be
getting upset, calm down, its only a sailing race).

Its especially hard in a mixed regatta where PY is scored and you have to write
times too.  So its much much easier on the RC to call out Caroline, A, Ched,
Rose, Pirate, VMB, Loco, Chevron, Prickly fish, NO-GWBush!  or whatever you
have on your sail. And also easier to be able to see them when some of the
numbers are covered. Trust me its "way better", just hard to get people to sign
on to a new thing (even if its an old tradition) when they have never seen it
here in the US and been living in the cookie cutter age with numbers as long as
your arm like in the hobie and laser fleets. These skiffs will change your
mind. Of course the IOC and youth world authority have got their way with the
29er and the 49er but other skiff fleets have always had logos to identify the
boat.
 --Rose
Here are a few examples from the simple to the complex