Re: Hull construction discussion continued.

To: Christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hull construction discussion continued.
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 00:10:30 EDT
Let me start my making it clear that whatever happens will be the result of
a vote by the entire class.  It is not my decision to make.   Everyone's input
is important on this subject.

Here's my perspective.  First, I think that anyone who buys an all  wood
cored Swift from Roger is getting a hell of a deal.  When you compare  the
amount
of work required and the cost of the exotic materials needed to a  Waterat 505
or a Beiker I-14, it's not hard to see that Roger is offering  substantially
more boat for the money.  I would have to guess that Rogers  prices will have
to be increased fairly soon.

Second, for many of us, the construction is nearly as much fun as the
sailing.  I'm genuinely passionate about both and will continue to  do both
until
age leaves construction of an occasional Swift my  only option (when I'm 95).
However, if we can produce a Nomex or Balsa  cored hull (not deck) that is as
competitive as the cedar core in  longevity, and provides neither an advantage
or disadvantage to our existing  members / boats, we would open up a market to
those who don't have the time to  do a complete boat and to those who want
Roger to be able to maintain  some control on his costs / price.  Our current
minimum  weight should allow enough weight to provide an equally durable  hull
while our inertia swing tests will ensure that all hulls have the same  amount
of weight in the ends (this is really important).

If the testing shows reasonable durability of Nomex core, I would be  in
favor of allowing such construction for the hulls with the  understanding that
any
logical argument that substantiates that such boats  will lack the durability
of the current boats or provide a competitive advantage  will cause me to
withdraw my support.  Currently, I have no reason to  believe that either
exists
except where decks are concerned--I personally  would be hostile toward any
move in that direction for decks.

If we were to do this, we would need to have strict control over those  hulls
and they should be contracted to one builder with experience in this
technique for three to five year segments and then rebid.