Hull construction discussion continued.

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Hull construction discussion continued.
From: Christian Rasmussen <Christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:30:26 -0400
Hi all,

I think the idea of making hulls from a mold would make it easier to get a good quality boat for someone who wants to
obtain a swift and be part of the class. We have to consider that not everyone wants to build. With the current
construction method even professional builders like Roger will have variances from hull to hull. Thats simply
the nature of how the process is done and the materials used. Added to that is that if you make the
stations out of wood, it will contract/expand if you cannot build in a climate controlled area contributing
to additional variances among home builders. Again making it hard for some potential swift sailor to gage
the true quality of a boat.

With regard to beauty of the wood, I dont find that much is missing when I look at Brams green and white boats.
Most of what people see is the deck. (Maybe with the exception of mine, which spends a lot of time
being capsized. :-) ) But having said that, you should keep in mind that building a swift using the current
contruction method (all cedar) should/will not be prohibited.

I think we should try and look at this wrt how we can attract more sailors to the class with high quality and consistant boats, regardless if those sailors wants to be racers or cruisers. Its just more fun if there are someone nearby to
sail with, discuss technical issues and the likes.

Christian